Repurpose old chair into herb holder

I needed some inspiration, some kind of theme to go with as a jumping-off point. So I thought and thought and thought some more. Nothing came to mind.
Finally, one early morning while still 1/2 asleep, 1/4 awake, (not sure about the other 1/4) an idea popped into my head! (I get into a lot of trouble at 4 am, let me tell you, those ‘bright” ideas always sound great in the wee hours of the morning)

Are you ready for this? What can be found in a restaurant? Chairs!
008There were plenty of curb-shopped chairs in my basement awaiting a new purpose.
Did I say plenty? Mike once said he counted 36 chairs down there, a gross exaggeration, I swear! ……I only got to 30 on my count……
019

I selected some good candidates for a make over.

024
This one still had cobwebs on it. Eeewwww
I resolved to make as many things as I could get done before the benefit in the 2 1/2 weeks time I had.

Time to get to work….
Let’s start with this chair with pretty legs.
023

She had definitely seen better days. Wonder how many meals this chair had sat thru?
124
Some primer and white spray paint started the transformation. (after cleaning off the cobwebs, of course)
This discarded Christmas tree stand would be put to good use…..
122
Some watering cans……
128
Terra cotta pots from 1/2 price day at the thrift store…. (and a good Maeve Binchy book for later)
134

A box spring found at the curb……..check out all those lovely bedsprings in there……

154
Looks like a can of worms, doesn’t it?
161
A rough piece of fence board that I forgot to get a before picture of….
Ok, I was doing great with taking photos up until this point. Apparently I didn’t break out the camera once while putting the rest of this together. You’ll just have to imagine this part. Sorry!
I used a tip I had read on a blog about making a sign without a stencil. (Can’t remember which it was on, thought it might be Gail’s, but can’t find it now! Don’t you just hate that?
I played around in Word with some fonts and sizes and came up with the right size. I printed it out then used a pencil to color an inch around the back side of each letter really dark.
Taped the paper onto the board in the position I wanted the words, and pressed down really hard while tracing the letters so that the pencil would leave a line for me to color in.
While doing this it occurred to me that Carbon Paper would have done this so much faster and easier. Didn’t I have some laying around in the office?
Yup.
Oh well, too late to use it now.
I colored in the words with a red paint pen.
Sanded over the lettering to make it aged..

171-1

Starting to come together now…
171
A couple of hooks to hang the gardening tools from……
I should have checked on the availability of potted herbs before starting this. All I could find this early in the season was Rosemary. (This was back at the end of March)
275
Enter plan B, I went to Wal-Mart and bought some seed packets to go with the empty pots.

The bedsprings you ask? What did I do with those?
Since the Christmas tree stand was a tight fit for the 4 pots I wanted to use, I placed one of them in a bedspring to give it a tiered effect and make more room for the other 3 pots to sit below it.
My daughter Erin donated a basil plant from her kitchen to add to the chair.
Not a very good picture, but the sunflower painted pot towards the back is sitting up in the bedspring.

016

I was very excited that this chair sold for $70!
279Normally I don’t go out and purchase anything for my projects, I try to use only what’s on hand. However, for this event I made an exception. I wanted it to be as complete as possible since we wanted somebody to actually pay for it.
This one cost me about $8 for the rosemary plant, the seed packets, the 2 thrift pots (I had the other 2 in my stash already) and the thrift store watering can.

Continue Reading

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.