Little cabinet restored with cornbread paint and fabric

No, this is not a tale about cornbread the food, but rather a tale about Cornbread the color, by Martha Stewart (found at Home Depot). I have seen it on a few projects, can’t recall where, somewhere in blog land, and you all know I have a thing for yellow anyways, so I knew I had to find the perfect piece to use it on. Can you say run-on sentence? Geez!

You may recall I shared with you a while back that I had the lovely pleasure of attending a private sale, created just for me, at a retired antique dealer’s home (Hi Linda!).

Well, she had this babe in her stash and I knew I had to take her home with me:

Sorry for the poor photo. She was teal in color and had a lot of missing paint and chips here and there.

I cleaned her up, washed her windows, cleaned her inside, sanded her, primed her in bright white and then added some yummy Cornbread:

As you can clearly see, I did not tape off the windows. You don’t have to. Once it was completely dry, I took a razor scraper thingy (I don’t know it’s the technical name, so that’s what I’m calling it) and scraped the windows clean of paint. No more paint on the windows!

I wanted to put fabric on the inside of the windows, rather than just leaving them plain. I mean, having it be a purely yellow piece of furniture would have been fine, but I don’t think people expect me to produce just “fine”. So I went shopping for fabric with a sample of Cornbread in hand with the idea that I was going to find a pattern with some yellow in it. But I spotted something better instead! Sometimes you just gotta roll with it. Black and white paisley! “Ooh,” I thought, “that would look perfect against the yellow.”

I knew I wanted to give the future owner of this beauty the option of changing out the fabric if they decide to change the paint color and the entire look of the piece at some point. I thought, but how am I going to do that? Aha! I’ll attach the fabric inside the windows with Velcro!

I had some white card stock paper lying around (note: foam board would also work for this part of the project), so I measured the windows and gave myself a piece of paper about 1 1/2 inches larger than the windows. I cut the card stock to size and then measured the fabric to go around it. I knew I wanted giant paisley on each panel, so I made sure to cut my fabric out accordingly, leaving enough on each side to be able to wrap it around the card stock.

The card stock pictured on the left in the photo below is already wrapped in fabric:

With my glue gun in hand, I wrapped the fabric around the card stock like a Christmas present, gluing as I went:

Once I had the fabric panels finished, I grabbed the stick-on Velcro circles

First I stuck the fuzzy Velcro to the fabric. I then placed the other piece of Velcro on top of it. I did this to avoid placing them in the wrong spots on the door. I wanted the paisley pattern to be placed perfectly inside the window.

I opened the door, held the panel on the inside, and when I was certain it would show through the window exactly as I wanted it, I pressed it down and secured the panel in place.

Here’s how it looked once the Velcro was firmly in place:

I repeated the same steps with the second panel on the right:

The last little adjustment I’d like to make is to add fabric to the back of each panel to cover up the edges of the fabric.

But there you have it, folks:

I spray painted the original knobs in jet black to match the paisley.

Now, the future owner of this gorgeous little side table has the option of changing the entire look of it someday, should they choose to do so.

Continue Reading

Leave a Reply