Thrift Chair Makeover

I purchased this chair many months ago from a local thrift shop with the intention of doing a little update and then replacing the large wooden office chair in my daughter’s room with this one. At the time I had no idea that her room would be going through a complete overhaul, but thankfully I held off on the project just long enough to make sure the update would coordinate with her new room colors.

The $2 Thrift Chair Before:

The seat removed from the chair frame really easy with just a few screws and unsnapping of the legs from grooves on the bottom of the seat. My concern was whether or not the two pieces of the seat would separate just as easy, but really no problems there either. I used a flat head screwdriver and worked my way around, gently prying the two pieces apart. This is what I had once done…

The chair frame minus the seat… Nothing too dramatic there. The wet purple rag is soaking the goodwill tag, so that I could remove it easily without any residue. After the tag was removed, I did some sanding to remove a little rust and create a good base for the new paint. I limited the paint choices to what I already had on hand to keep this project budget friendly (the current budget is $0). Luckily, I had two partial cans of gray spray paint. One was a Rustoleum dark semi-gloss spray in grey and the other also Rustoleum in a metallic grey – it’s official title – Dark Steel. The Dark Steel was what I used to update the lamps in my bedroom, so I already knew I loved the color. Plus, her rug is mainly a dark charcoal grey so it was a color already being used in her room. I used the semi-gloss as a base coat and the metallic for the top coat. I just barely had enough between the two.

The seat was actually an easy project too. I kept waiting for some big problem to arise, something to break or not fit. You know the things that always pop up when you think a project is going to be super simple. My kharma must have been good that day because the seat recovering was over and done in no time. I used some left over shaggy hot pink fabric that was originally used on the DIY faux shag rug previously in my daughter’s room (before the latch hook rug was completed). She loves the fabric, so it was an easy choice. I wrapped it around the existing seat, cut off the extra leaving an inch or so around all the edges (the photo below is before I trimmed the excess), then flipped it fabric side down placed the metal base inside the top and pushed the two pieces back together. A rubber mallet helped really snug the two pieces back together completely.

After letting the paint dry on the frame for another day (I waited a full day on the seat before recovering it), it was time to see how it would all work together. As with the rest of this project it all went back together with no problems, which really is just so weird for me.

Here is the updated thrift chair:

It’s crazy what a little bit of fabric and a couple coats of paint can accomplish. It’s little projects like this that keep me coming back to thrift stores to find something old to make new again.

Continue Reading

Leave a Reply